Vermont Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Vermont Requirements

Radiography Requirements

To legally operate dental X-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in the state of Vermont, a dental assistant must be an Expanded Function Dental Assistant or a DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) (see requirements below).

Traditional Dental Assistants can earn a special endorsement to perform dental radiographic procedures by completing the following requirements:

1a.  Be at least 18 years of age, AND

1b. Successfully complete a CODA-accredited radiography course within 10 years of application for endorsement, AND

1c.  Work for at least six months as a dental assistant, OR

2.  Hold a radiography endorsement equivalent to that required in Vermont,


3.  Apply to the Vermont Board of Dental Examiners for endorsement.