Vermont Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Vermont Requirements

Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements


Traditional Dental Assistant

DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) with state certification

Expanded Function Dental Assistant

Requirements for an Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA)

To perform expanded functions in Vermont under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental assistant must earn status as an Expanded Function Dental Assistant. To qualify, one must:

1a. Hold a current national DANB CDA certification, AND

1b. Be employed by a Vermont-licensed dentist, OR

2. Be a licensed dental hygienist, AND

3. Successfully complete a formal program in each of the desired expanded functions at a CODA-accredited program of dental assisting, AND

4. Apply to the Vermont Board of Dental Examiners for registration.