New Mexico Dental Assistant Requirements
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.
Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements
- Study by independent preparation or in a training course on radiation health and safety within the past 36 months, AND
- Have assisted with or observed five cases of full mouth series intraoral radiographs (or five extraoral radiographs, if applying for limited certificate), AND
- Pass the national DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam, AND
- Apply to the NM Board of Dental Health Care for a training permit, valid for six months, AND
- Pass a state radiography clinical exam, within six months of passing the DANB RHS exam, AND
- Pass the New Mexico state jurisprudence exam (take-home), AND
- Apply to the New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care for certification to perform radiography.