Montana State Requirements

  • Print
  • E-mail a Friend

    You may enter up to five e-mail addresses, separated by a comma.

    Close and Submit Buttons

Radiography Requirements

To legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in Montana, a dental assistant must meet the requirements shown below.

  • Radiography Requirements

    A dental auxiliary in the state of Montana must:

    1. Successfully complete the national DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam. After successful completion of the RHS exam, DANB will issue the assistant a DANB RHS certificate of knowledge-based competence. Dental assistants are not legally allowed to expose radiographs in Montana until they receive a certificate from DANB, OR

    2.  Graduate from a CODA-accredited dental assisting program, OR

    3.  Be certified in dental radiography as a result of military experience.

    To expose radiographs under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental auxiliary must hold DANB’s CDA certification.

    Note: Effective Jan. 1, 2016, radiology certification from other states will no longer be accepted, with the exception of a board-approved written examination. Dental auxiliaries who acquired radiology certification in other states and were employed as dental auxiliaries in Montana prior to Jan. 1, 2016, will be grandfathered.

    Learn more about DANB's Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam
    CODA-Accredited Dental Assisting Programs

Dental Assisting Job Titles and Requirements for Each Level

  • Dental Auxiliary

    A dental auxiliary in Montana may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. To qualify, one must:

    1.  Graduate from a CODA-accredited dental assisting program, OR

    2.  Receive instruction and training by a licensed dentist, OR

    3.  Receive instruction and training in a Montana Board-approved continuing education course.

    CODA-Accredited Dental Assisting Programs
  • DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)

    To perform duties under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental auxiliary must:

    Hold DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification

    CODA-Accredited Dental Assisting Programs