Montana Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Montana Requirements

Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements


Dental Auxiliary

DANB Certified Dental Assistant

Radiography Requirements

A dental auxiliary in the state of Montana must:

  1. Successfully complete the national DANB Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam or another board-approved exam. After successful completion of the RHS exam, DANB will issue the assistant a DANB RHS certificate of knowledge-based competence. Dental assistants are not legally allowed to expose radiographs in Montana until they receive a certificate from DANB, OR
  2. Graduate from a CODA-accredited dental assisting program, OR
  3. Be certified in dental radiography as a result of military experience.

To expose radiographs under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental auxiliary must hold DANB’s CDA certification.

Note: Effective Jan. 1, 2016, radiology certification from other states will no longer be accepted, with the exception of a board-approved written examination. Dental auxiliaries who acquired radiology certification in other states and were employed as dental auxiliaries in Montana prior to Jan. 1, 2016, will be grandfathered.