Washington Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Washington Requirements

Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements


Registered Dental Assistant

Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary

Dental Anesthesia Assistant

Registered Dental Assistant Requirements

Every dental assistant in the state of Washington must be registered. To be eligible for registration as a dental assistant, one must:

  1. Provide a completed application on forms provided by the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission (DQAC), AND
  2. Pay applicable fees, AND
  3. Provide evidence of completion of seven clock hours of AIDS education and training as required by chapter 246-12 WAC, Part 8, AND
  4. Provide any other information determined by the Washington State Dental Quality Assurance Commission.

The dental assistant registration must be renewed annually on or before the dental assistant’s birthday.

A registered dental assistant must hold a current and valid health care provider basic life support (BLS) certification.

A registered dental assistant in the state of Washington may earn an endorsement in sealant/fluoride varnish solely for the purpose of treating children in school-based and school-linked programs. Applicants must:

  1. Have had 200 hours of employment by a Washington State-licensed dentist that has included theoretical and clinical training in the application of dental sealants and fluoride varnish treatments, verified by a declaration provided by the licensed dentist who provided the training, AND
  2. Provide proof of completion of a training program meeting Washington state requirements, AND
  3. Submit an application and fee.

Note: Registered dental assistants monitoring patients receiving deep sedation or general anesthesia must receive a minimum of 14 hours of documented training in a course specifically designed to include instruction and practical experience in the use of equipment.

Note: A volunteer dental assistant is an individual who, without compensation, provides supportive services in a charitable dental clinic.