Tennessee Dental Assistant Requirements
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.
Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) Qualified to Perform Expanded Functions Requirements
To perform expanded functions in Tennessee, Registered Dental Assistants (RDAs) must earn state certification by completing the following requirements for each of the desired expanded functions:
Perform coronal polishing procedures:
1. Successfully complete a Tennessee Board-approved coronal polishing course, including both a written and clinical exam (to qualify for the course, an individual must be an RDA in Tennessee), or complete a CODA-accredited dental assisting program that included coronal polishing in the curriculum, AND
2. Receive a certificate in coronal polishing from the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
1. Successfully complete a Tennessee Board-approved course in sealant application (to qualify, one must be a current RDA), or be enrolled in a CODA- accredited or Tennessee Board-approved program which offers such a course, AND
2. Receive a certificate in sealant application from the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
Monitor nitrous oxide:
1. Successfully complete a Tennessee Board-approved nitrous oxide monitoring course (to qualify, one must be a current RDA), or be enrolled in a CODA-accredited or Tennessee Board-approved program which offers such a course as part of its curriculum, AND
2. Receive a certificate in monitoring nitrous oxide from the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
Perform restorative and/or prosthetic functions:
1. Have a minimum of two years of continuous, full-time registered dental assisting employment in the three years prior to enrolling in course, AND
2. Complete a Tennessee Board-approved certification course, AND
3. Receive a certificate in restorative and/or prosthetic functions from the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
Expose dental radiographs:
Note: RDAs who have successfully completed a comparable training program in expanded functions in another state may be eligible to apply directly to the Tennessee Board of Dentistry for an expanded functions certificate without additional training. The expanded functions course must have been approved by the dental board in the other state and the Tennessee Board of Dentistry consultant must determine that the course is equivalent to the Tennessee Board- approved course. The information regarding content of the course and proof of completion must be sent directly from the course provider to the Board’s administrative office. If a certification or permit was issued by the other state, verification of the certificate or permit must be received directly from the other board. For more information, contact the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.