South Dakota Dental Assistant Requirements
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.
Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements
Registered Dental Assistant or Dental Assistant with training in starting intravenous lines
Registered Dental Assistant or Dental Assistant with a permit to monitor patients under general anesthesia, deep sedation or moderate sedation
Registered Dental Assistant or Dental Assistant qualified in injection of medication
Registered Dental Assistant with permit to administer nitrous oxide inhalation analgesia
To legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in South Dakota, an individual must be registered as a Dental Radiographer.
To qualify for registration as a dental radiographer, one must
1. Meet one of the following requirements within 13 months prior to application
a. Complete a dental radiography course taken through a dental assisting, dental hygiene or dental program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation or
b. Pass DANB’s Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam or
c. Complete a South Dakota State Board of Dentistry-approved radiography training program or
d. Hold DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification, AND
2. Submit application for registration, required documentation, and fee to the South Dakota State Board of Dentistry.
To qualify for dental radiographer registration by endorsement, one must
1. Have been legally practicing dental radiography in another state within the three years prior to application, AND
2. Provide verification of completing a course including at least 16 hours of training in areas outlined in South Dakota rules, AND
3a. Provide verification of registration number and status from the board of dentistry in each state in which the applicant is or has been registered to practice as a dental radiographer, OR
3b. If not currently registered as a dental radiographer, verification of having legally practices dental radiography for a period of time during the three years preceding application (written documentation from an employing/supervising dentist attesting to current clinical proficiency of the applicant may be required) AND
4. Submit application for registration, required documentation, and fee to the South Dakota State Board of Dentistry.