New Hampshire Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

New Hampshire Requirements

Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary Requirements

To qualify to place, contour and adjust direct restorative materials within the oral cavity, one must register as an Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) with the New Hampshire Board of Dental Examiners (NHBDE). To register, one must:

1. Be at least 18 years of age; AND

2. Be a registered dental hygienist or a Graduate Dental Assistant or hold current DANB CDA certification (and be qualified to perform preliminary inspection of the oral cavity), AND

3. Have a minimum of 4,500 hours of dental clinical experience; AND

4. Obtain a recommendation for the EFDA course from a NH-licensed dentist; AND

5. Complete an EFDA course in dental restorations meeting requirements established by rule of the NHBDE; AND

6. Be currently certified in BLS-HCP;  AND

7. Apply to the NHBDE for an EFDA permit.

(Note: A dental auxiliary qualified in these restorative functions in another jurisdiction may qualify for endorsement by the Board by presenting written documentation of equivalent training and a letter from a supervising dentist attesting to experience with direct restorations within the previous two years.)