Massachusetts Dental Assistant Requirements
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.
Formally Trained Dental Assistant Requirements
To qualify as a Formally Trained Dental Assistant (FTDA), one must:
1. Be 18 years of age and of good moral character, AND
2. Successfully complete a dental assisting program accredited by CODA or authorized, approved, accredited, licensed or certified by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (DHE), or the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) or complete a state-approved vocational dental assisting program, AND
3. Hold current certification in CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer from the American Red Cross or Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS) from the American Heart Association, AND
4. Apply to the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry for registration, AND
5. Take and pass the Massachusetts Board’s ethics and jurisprudence exam.