Maine Dental Assistant Requirements
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.
To legally operate dental X-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures in Maine, under the general supervision of a licensed dentist or independent practice dental hygienist, an individual must meet the requirements shown below.
To perform radiography in Maine, an individual must be licensed as a Dental Radiographer by the Maine Board of Dental Practice (MBDP). To qualify for a license, an individual must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age, AND
2. Hold current CPR certification, AND
3. Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent, AND
4a. Complete a course in dental radiologic technique and safety, which included a dental radiography exam, approved by the Maine Board of Dental Practice, OR
4b. Successfully complete an examination in dental radiologic technique and safety approved by the Board (Note: DANB’s Radiation Health and Safety exam meets this requirement)
5. Successfully complete, with a passing grade of 90 percent, the MBDP’s jurisprudence exam, AND
6. Submit an application and pay applicable fee to the MBDP.