Iowa Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Iowa Requirements

Registered Dental Assistant Requirements

Note: In order to work as a dental assistant in the state of Iowa, an individual must be 17 years of age or older, be a high school graduate or equivalent, and be registered with the Iowa Dental Board and have received a Certificate of Registration.

To qualify as a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) in Iowa, one must:

1a. Work in a dental office for six months as a Dental Assistant Trainee (see requirements above), or

1b. If licensed out of state, have had at least six months of prior dental assisting experience under a licensed dentist within the past two years, or

1c. Graduate from an accredited dental assisting program approved by the Iowa Dental Board, AND

2. Successfully complete an Iowa Board-approved course of study in the areas of infection control, hazardous materials and jurisprudence; the course of study may be taken at an Iowa Board-approved, accredited dental assisting program or on the job using a curriculum approved by the board, AND

3. Successfully pass required examinations in infection control/hazardous materials and jurisprudence; examinations approved by the board are those administered by the board or the board's approved testing centers, or the DANB Infection Control exam, if taken after June 1, 1991 (the Iowa Dental Board may require applicants with exam scores older than five years to retest), AND

4. Hold a valid CPR card, AND

5. Apply to the Iowa Dental Board (IDB) for registration as a dental assistant using IDB application forms, or apply online and receive a Certificate of Registration.

A dental assistant may seek registration by verification if the person is currently licensed or registered as a dental assistant in at least one other jurisdiction that has a scope of practice substantially similar to that of Iowa, the person has been licensed or registered for a minimum of one year in the other jurisdiction, and either:

I. The person relocates and establishes residency in Iowa; or

II. The person is married to an active duty member of the military forces of the United States and is accompanying the member on an official permanent change of station to a military installation located in Iowa.

The applicant must submit a completed application for registration and fee, verification form completed by the licensing authority that issued applicant’s license, proof of Iowa residency, proof of successful completion of jurisprudence exam, disciplinary record, criminal record, and documents related to scope of practice in the other state. Applicants who satisfy all requirements except for passing jurisprudence exam may be issued a temporary registration.