Delaware Dental Assistant Requirements

Each state has different requirements for dental assistants. This page includes links to all the information you need to understand the requirements for dental assistants in this state. View the different dental assisting levels, along with the requirements for each. You can also view the allowable duties at each level.

Delaware Requirements

Dental Assistant Levels and Requirements


Dental Assistant

Radiography Requirements

A dental assistant must hold a state certificate as a Dental Radiation Technician or a state certificate recognizing DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification from the Delaware Division of Public Health/Office of Radiation Control (Delaware ORC). To qualify, one must:

Pass the DANB national Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam

Hold current DANB CDA certification

Submit a completed state certificate application (Form R16-N) to the Delaware ORC

Be at least 18 years of age to receive the state certificate

Currently, the State of Delaware has no provisions for recognizing certificates issued by other states. To obtain Form R16-N, contact the Delaware ORC, Jesse Cooper Building, 417 Federal St., Dover, DE 19901; phone (302) 744-4546; or visit the website: Forms can be accessed at

Note: The Delaware ORC has discontinued the Delaware Dental Radiologic Technology (DDRT) exam, which was a state-specific exam equivalent to DANB's RHS exam offered prior to December 31, 2015. As of January 1, 2016, individuals who wish to become certified as Delaware Dental Radiation Technicians and who do not hold DANB's CDA certification must apply to DANB to take the DANB RHS exam. Candidates who passed the DDRT exam prior to December 31, 2015 may still use their DDRT exam passing result to qualify for the Dental Radiation Technician certificate. Former certificate holders who took the DDRT exam and who have let their Dental Radiation Technician certificate expire must take DANB’s RHS exam to reinstate the Dental Radiation Technician certificate.

(If you are enrolled at a Vocational Technical High School, you may be eligible to have your state certification application fee waived; contact the Delaware ORC for more information.)