New York State Requirements

  • Print
  • E-mail a Friend

    You may enter up to five e-mail addresses, separated by a comma.

    Close and Submit Buttons

Radiography Requirements

There are no radiography requirements for dental assistants in the state of New York. All dental assistants may legally operate routine oral radiography and panoramic radiographic dental equipment under the supervision of a licensed dentist. A dental assistant may operate conebeam computed tomography (CBCT) equipment under the direct supervision of a dentist after demonstrating satisfactory completion of a training program approved by the Department of Health or provided by the manufacturer.

    Dental Assisting Job Titles and Requirements for Each Level

    • Dental Assistant with a Limited Permit

      A person who has completed a dental assisting program or an alternative course of study in dental assisting acceptable to the New York State Education Department may apply for a limited (one-year) permit prior to taking and passing the required exams. A limited permittee may perform all tasks designated to Registered Dental Assistants, under the direct personal supervision of a licensed dentist. The permit expires after one year and may be renewed for an additional year.

    • Registered Dental Assistant

      A dental assistant in the state of New York must be licensed in order to perform supportive services under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. To be licensed as a Registered Dental Assistant in the state of New York, one must:

      1.  Be at least 18 years of age, AND

      2.  Be a high school graduate or its equivalent, AND

      3.  Be of good moral character, as determined by the New York State Education Department, AND

      4.  Successfully complete one of these two education options:

      a. A New York-approved one-year course of study in dental assisting, consisting of 24 semester hours, in a degree-granting institution or a Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) program that includes at least 200 hours of clinical experience or an equivalent approved course of study in dental assisting in a non-degree granting institution which shall not be a professional association or professional organization, OR  

      b.  An alternate course of study in dental assisting acceptable to the New York State Education Department that includes at least 1,000 hours of relevant work experience in accordance with the Commissioner’s regulations, AND

      5.  Successfully complete one of the following two exam pathways:

      a.  PATHWAY I: Pass all three components of the national DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) exam: Radiation Health and Safety (RHS), Infection Control (ICE), and General Chairside (GC), or 

      b.  PATHWAY II: Pass DANB’s RHS and ICE component exams along with the New York Professional Dental Assisting (NYPDA) exam, AND 

      6.  Apply for licensure from the New York State Education Department after completing all of the above requirements.

      Note: Dental assistants who have been granted a license in New York may identify themselves as “Registered Dental Assistant” or “RDA.”

      NYPDA and RHS/ICE/NYPDA Exam Application (PDF) 
      Please note: Candidates not eligible for CDA certification may now take the three exams required for New York RDA licensure in one exam administration. To apply for the combined exam administration, select “RHS/ICE/NYPDA” on the exam application in the New York exam application packet.

      Learn more about DANB's Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification 
      Learn more about DANB's Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam 
      Learn more about DANB's Infection Control (ICE) exam

    Applications for DANB-administered Exams Recognized or Required in New York

    New York Professional Dental Assisting (NYPDA) and RHS/ICE/NYPDA Exam Application (PDF) 

    DANB’s Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Application Packet (PDF)

    Apply online

    You can now apply online for a DANB-administered state-specific exam. Apply online now!