To perform specified restorative functions in Arizona under the supervision of a licensed dentist, a dental assistant must hold an Arizona Expanded Function – Restorative Certificate. To qualify, one must:
1. Hold the Arizona Coronal Polishing certificate and the Arizona Radiologic Proficiency certificate (see requirements above), AND
2. Successfully complete an ASBDE-approved EFDA training course at a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)-accredited program, AND
3. Pass DANB’s AMP, TMP and RF exams, AND
4. Under the supervision of a licensed dentist, perform restorative procedures required by the ASBDE (place, contour and finish 20 direct restorations and place and cement five prefabricated crowns, following the preparation of the tooth by a licensed dentist) and document these procedures on a Licensed Dentist Endorsement form, AND
5. Apply to DANB for the Arizona Expanded Functions – Restorative Certificate.
Arizona Expanded Functions – Restorative Exam and Certificate Application (PDF)