The American Dental Assistants Certification Board, Inc. was founded August 4, 1948, by the American Dental Assistants Association (ADAA) as a separate and distinct nonprofit organization to “advance the vocation of dental assistants by providing qualifying examinations.” Certification gained American Dental Association (ADA) approval in 1960, and the Board changed its name to the Certifying Board of the ADAA the same year.
As the Board evolved, the general public perceived the need for independent licensing and certification agencies to protect the public’s interest. Leaders within the dental assisting community acknowledged that need by restructuring the Board and modifying policies so that the CDA credential would continue to be known as the standard of competence in dental assisting. The name of the organization was changed to the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB) in 1978, when the composition of the Board of Directors was modified to include dentists/employers. DANB bylaws were further modified in 1989, opening up the Board's decision-making process to other segments of the dental community.
In 1980, DANB separated from the ADAA. Members of the ADAA continue to be nominated to serve on DANB’s Board of Directors, as do members of the ADA, American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and the American Association of Dental Examiners (AADE).
There are nine Board of Directors members. The active DANB Board of Directors selects new Board members from at least two qualified nominees for each vacancy from the following organizations: ADA (two directors), AADE (one), ADEA (one) and ADAA (three). The remaining two Board Directors are a DANB Certificant-at-large and a member of the public.
DANB’s Board of Directors